Thursday, February 02, 2006

So ...yeah. Thoughts for the night.

Have you ever just really really wanted to go somewhere else? Just jet off to a different country for a while? These feelings have been haunting me for the last week. Maybe it's just because three of my very good friends are living in countries I'd love to be in-- Italy and Costa Rica. what I would give to be wandering around with them right now, exploring the cobble-stoned streets of Italy while enjoying a huge cup of Gelato, or strolling the zoo in San Jose while there's a light sprinkle of the all-to-common rain. Perhaps it's just pure envy because I've been both those places before and have gotten a taste of what it might be to actually live there for a time. I imagine so. It is so easy to slip into waves of non contentment (is that a word?) For all that I am blessed with in this life, my health, my house, an opportunity to be getting a great education that so many in the world can never ever get....how can I be so selfish to hate where I am right now and wish to be traveling the world like my friends? I guess it's really that statement that the "grass is always greener on the other side." Gosh I don't know what it is about travelling ...I just want to go everywhere and see everything. Something about it just excites me so. To see and explore a place I've never been, to watch how people live in a different culture from yours, to see the amazing beauty that God put on this earth...perhaps someday I'll be able to explain it. What scares me is the thought of me growing up and not getting to go explore different places. To live in the same city for the rest of my life, to be in a job where I can't leave for a time. It almost makes me feel guilty for even feeling this way. If I am completely surrendered to the Lord's will for my life, won't He certainly fill me up with all I need and (as it says in Psalms) give me the desires of my heart, the desires that will inevitably be changed as my heart grows closer to God and in following where He leads? I confess I definitely don't know how all that works. I am convinced that God is my all....that He is the only one to fulfill all of my needs, even these supposed "needs" to travel, as if somehow that is what can complete me. So anyhow, that's about all I got. I do know that God is not boring, and perhaps He's got some crazy places He wants me to be at in the future, I can't say for sure. I just hope that I will be able to learn as the Apostle Paul did, how to be content in all circumstances. That's my prayer.

No comments: