Saturday, February 11, 2006

letting go

"The growth of all living green things wonderfully represents the process of receiving and relinquishing, gaining and losing, living and dying. The seed falls into the ground, dies as the new shoot springs up. There must be a splitting and a breaking in order for a bud to form. The bud "lets go" when the flower forms. The calyx lets go of the flower. The petals must curl up and die in order for the fruit to form. The fruit falls, splits, relinquishes the seed. The seed falls into the ground...There is no ongoing spiritual life without the process of letting go. At the precise point where we refuse, growth stops. If we hold tightly to anything given to us, unwilling to let it go when the time comes to let it go or unwilling to allow it to be used as the Giver means it to be used, we stunt the growth of the soul." ~Elizabeth Elliot
So I read that today, and it really made me think. Lately, I feel as though God is asking me to let go of so many things I hold onto in my life. To let go, and trust that He is big enough to provide my every need. This certainly is not easy to say the least, but I am confident that during this process of learning to give up my desires to Him, He is going to grow me in so many ways and His will will be proven to be good and perfect.

Here's one last tidbit from her, I thought she said this well. "...I realized that the deepest spiritual lessons are not learned by His letting us have our way in the end, but by His making us wait, bearing with us in love and patience until we are able honestly to pray what He taught His disciples to pray: They will be done."

1 comment:

Erin said...

wow! thank you jenny. how simple and true that is yet we often make it so difficult. i think we all struggle with letting go of something. i will be praying for you :-)