Wednesday, November 12, 2008


Wednesday November 12, 2008
Alrighty, so it’s Christmas time in Costa Rica…hard core!! I don’t just mean let’s sell some cute little Christmas decorations, I’m talking I’ve already seen a few cars with fresh Christmas trees strapped to the top. I’m saying that I’ve already seen little groups of children’s school choirs singing all the Christmas carols in the stores in the malls. I’m saying that I’ve already had my picture taking with the Latino Santa and his cute little Latino elf (very precious). Did I miss something here? Oh YEAH…there’s no thanksgiving to take the space of the consumer ridden commercial holidays where they sell all their little decorations to have up for one day, only to be replaced quickly by Christmas….oh yeah, I’m missing the turkey, the mashed potatoes, the pumpkin pie!! Now I’m getting hungry, and a little sad. Instead, I’ll probably be having a dinner of beans and rice and some fried jumbo-banana looking things that are plantains. Yum! Guess that just means I get a raincheck on thanksgiving. Perhaps mom will be so kind to whip up a feux thanksgiving in the spring when I come home….

So yes, it’s Christmas here. Even tonight, I took a taxi home with lovely little tinsel and big shiny plastic balls hanging from the rear view mirror. Every mall already has the numerous Christmas trees up, resplendent with the necessary lights, tree ornaments, and spaces for santa and his elves to pose with the little kiddies. Ah, Christmas. Now I’m glad I have an excuse to listen to my beloved Christmas music for longer than a month. And, I guess I don’t have to wait until the day after Christmas to hear the 24 hour Christmas music on the radio…..life is great, aren’t you jealous?

1 comment:

Erin said...

haha yep same here in Czech. I've tried to ignore it as long as I could, but Christmas stuff is everywhere.